Intensity of exercise
By Sam Witter on 14th June, 2016
Working in a gym environment most of the day means that I see lots of people come in and out of the gym every day. But how many of those people are actually working at an intensity that will have an effect on their health and or body shape?
I would say that less than 10% of people in the gym are spending their time effectively. People spend time talking to their mates and messing around on phones rather than working out. Just because you have driven to the gym, got changed and walked through the door it doesn’t mean that it is doing you some good! Do you go to the gym just to tick it off the list?! This will not get you the results you what and you are wasting your time!!
Follow my principles and tips to help you get the most out of every workout
1. Get in the right frame of mind, if you feel defeated before you get in the gym the workout will be a disaster. Have a black coffee to boost metabolism, take 5 minutes to clear your mind and then go and attack your session.
2. Get in and out- if you potter around the gym for 2 hours having a chat and doing a few reps you are not working hard enough. My sessions last around 40mins with a 10 min warm up and cool down before and after. Work hard and go!! It’s quality not quantity.
3. Lift weights- High intensity weights sessions are far greater than doing an hour plod on the treadmill. Weights create a much greater metabolic effect and you will burn more calories for longer.
4. Training should hurt – The gym is a place where failure is good!! Whatever you are doing it should be done at maximum effort or to failure. When exercise is done to failure adaption has to take place and this means fat loss and muscle gain.
5. Make a plan – Have an idea of your workout before entering the gym. If it’s legs day make sure you have the session planned. If you don’t plan the session will not be as effective.
See where you are on your journey to better health. My FREE health checker will help you understand where you are on the health scale.
Download this example programme I do with my clients. This should take no longer than 40mins and you will feel it!!!